Not Your Average Drug Education Program
From dealing with teacher shortages and ever-changing achievement standards to preventing school violence, implementing an effective drug education program can be a challenge. Schools are balancing the expectations of busy parents with what staff can realistically do.
Drug prevention programs are important and necessary, but teachers need to focus on student achievement and planning time. Who has the bandwidth to facilitate? How can you get buy-in from parents and students?
The Reality Tour program model does the heavy lifting for schools. We educate young people every year and help parents understand the full spectrum of drug abuse. Community organizations purchase the program and implement it using our proven method that unites all 12 Sectors of the Community. We even guide the introduction of the Reality Tour concept at no charge to determine if it is a good fit. Schools partner to dedicate one or more grade levels to the Reality Tour experience and advocate attendance to parents.
Drug Trend Alert
Schools concerned about developing drug trends and the possibility of an overdose/poisoning on campus can view our training to learn how to meet today's challenges and keep students safe. This training will open new opportunities in prevention at a very critical time.
Bring Reality Tour to Your School District
Schools can encourage community organizations, such as your health department, Chamber of Commerce, youth groups, faith-based groups or services clubs (e.g. Lions, Soroptimist, Kiwanis or Rotary Club), to purchase and present Reality Tour for your community.
Here’s how to get started:
- Download our Reality Tour Planner to review how to work with stakeholders to present the concept for consideration and partnership. This tool even helps you determine your stakeholders in a manner of minutes! The Planner download is available by filling out the form below.
- For schools that want to help parents take the conversation home, download our Parent/Child Prevention Checklist.
Review the Reality Tour Planner then...
- Contact us to answer questions and help determine readiness.
- Collaborate with us to identify community partners using the Planner.
- Work with your community organization(s) to find volunteers.
- Contact us to connect with schools that have been partners for years.
Reality Tour is a community-based drug prevention system designed as a single event to engage parents, but it’s also a vehicle that networks community resources to enhance prevention on multi-levels. Held in the evening or weekend so parents WILL attend, the system puts parent and child on the same page. Reality Tour® is not scare tactics, per our University of Pittsburgh researcher’s documentation. A needs assessment survey of parents in 2002 revealed their desire for prevention programs to include the possible, ultimate consequences of experimentation.
Reality Tour is delivered in 3 parts:
1. The Consequences
- Narrated scenes of life
- Emotional learning for lasting recall
- Appropriate for youth ages 10-17 with a parent
2. The Coping Skills
- Recognize 1st signs of use
- Personal goals for drug prevention developed
- Refusal skills engagement
- Home prevention launch materials
- Enduring impact on teen brain
3. The Interviews
- Law officer relates local trends
- Youth in recovery de-glamourizes use
School partnerships create a renewable audience. Schools can decide which grade levels they most want to attend the program. For example, a large school chose 6th grade as their grade of emphasis. Homerooms were ‘assigned’ to each of the upcoming dates for Reality Tour. During the year, teachers reminded their students that ‘their date’ was coming up and urged them to have their parents register. Older siblings were also welcomed at the program as was the general public.
The cost for the license the program model is an affordable $3,500 with an annual renewal fee of $500. CANDLE, Inc. can help you partner with other community organizations to help raise money for the license.
The cost to purchase the Reality Tour Program Model and license is an affordable $3,500 with an annual renewal fee of $500.
Reality Tour is replicated in several states. Venues vary per Tour, some are held at churches, township buildings, courthouses, municipal centers and schools. Review our location page to see where the various sites are and learn if you will be the first in your area to offer Reality Tour.
Reality Tour runs approximately 2 hours. It is most often held in the evenings or on a weekend so parents can attend.
Educator Resources and Activities
I am a current college intern at CANDLE, Inc.’s Reality Tour which is a nonprofit organization that educates communities about youth substance abuse and teaches … Read more